Keto diet (ketogenic) is a new trend in nutrition. The keto diet started gaining popularity in 2017 and continues to this day.
The keto diet is an approach to a healthy lifestyle. Natural foods are preferred according to the needs of the human body with the presence of fats and the lowest carbohydrate content.The ketogenic diet is an updated version of the low carb diet.
Principles of the Keto Diet
The main principle of the keto diet is low carbohydrate foods. The ketogenic diet is based on the processing of fatty acids by the body. The distribution of animal fat that enters the body with food without the intervention of carbohydrates is the key to a healthy diet with this method.
Low carb diets are very popular with obese people who want to lose weight or stay in shape.
With minimal or complete absence of carbohydrates in the body, fat burning occurs rapidly, a person begins to lose weight. Fats begin to be removed from the body and processed into fatty acids and then into the keto body.
Ketone bodies are fat breakdown products produced by the liver. With active energy expenditure or prolonged fasting, in order to gain energy, the body begins to break down its own stored fat.
The breakdown of fat and the formation of ketone bodies is called ketogenesis and is a completely natural process for the human body. Ketogenesis does not lead to drastic weight loss.
Characteristics of the keto diet
A feature of the keto diet is the replacement of the provided energy resource - carbohydrates for fats or rather decomposition products - ketones. To reorganize the body and based on individual characteristics, it is necessary to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed from 50 to 20 grams per day. It will take 2 to 4 weeks for the new feeding system to fully adapt. Maximum form of fat burning is achieved by following a balanced diet.
A special feature of the keto diet from other foods is the limited amount of carbohydrates in the body, the low protein content and the presence of fats. The daily intake of carbohydrates in food should not exceed 20 grams per day. Ketones, the by-products of animal fats used by the body for energy production, must have a fat to protein and carbohydrate ratio of 2 to 1. To maintain a normal metabolism, the body must receive large amounts of fat. 75% of the calories in your daily diet should come from fat, the rest are carbohydrates and proteins. The caloric intake of products per day should not exceed 5000 kcal. The diet does not limit the time of eating, you can safely eat after 18 hours.
The less a person consumes foods high in carbohydrates, the more effective the diet is in suppressing hunger.
The main part of the daily diet should be fat, followed by protein and last but not least - carbohydrates. The peculiarity of this diet, unlike others, is that salt intake is not limited here, which restores electrolyte balance.
In the first days of the diet, you should gradually reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed.
With the strict principle of adhering to the diet keto for weight loss, a person can easily lose 3-5 kg of weight in a month without harming his health and reducing the amount of adipose tissue.Athletes are more likely to adhere to a circular ketogenic diet, burn fat, their bodies become more visible and their muscle mass increases. The reason for this change lies in the transformation of the hormonal background and the increased process of growth hormone formation. The principle of nutrition is strictly regulated by the training program.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
The benefits of the keto diet have already been scientifically proven and approved by nutritionists. In addition to losing or maintaining weight, the condition of the skin, hair, nails improves, food metabolism normalizes, metabolism improves and immunity increases.
Studies have shown that people who are overweight and have high cholesterol, after a keto diet for 56 weeks, not only lost more than 25 pounds, but significantly improved blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
With caution, doctors recommend following a diet for cancer patients. It is known that cancer cells are actively fed glucose, completely excluding it from the diet and following a carbohydrate-free diet, the diseased cells gradually lose their activity.
For lovers of independent weight loss without a prescription, the easiest diet option is suitable - the keto lifestyle.
The ketogenic diet is widely used among athletes in sports that require high endurance: marathon, triathlon, cycling, extreme sports.
Diet promotes fat burning for efficient production of an energy source, thus contributing to the maintenance and economical consumption of glycogen (animal starch) during prolonged intense exercise.
The obvious benefits of a keto diet are a general improvement in well-being, emotional mood, increased energy, increased efficiency, increased brain activity.
The ketogenic diet is more of a healthy diet, but only healthy people can follow it on their own. Before starting such a diet, you should consult a specialist, he will tell you what pitfalls there may be and how best to get out of it in case of deteriorating health.
Disadvantages of the keto diet
Compared to other weight loss diets, the ketogenic diet is more effective, but long-term compliance can have different consequences.
The disadvantage of the keto diet is that it is not suitable for all people. When glucose levels are low, the body's glycogen stores are depleted. With a sudden transition from a normal diet to a ketogenic diet, many people experience dizziness, weakness and drowsiness and difficulty coordinating.
If you experience the following symptoms, you should stop following the ketogenic diet:
- reduced efficiency and reduced concentration.
- increased fatigue.
- unpleasant odor of acetone in the mouth.
- difficulties with the digestion process.
- bad blood count.
- frequent urination.
- persistent dry mouth?
- decreased appetite.
- lack of minerals and vitamins in the body.
In the context of a high-fat ketone diet, there may be an excess of ammonia in the blood, which leads to toxic poisoning of the body and disturbance of hormonal levels.
In the first week of the diet, you may feel chills or fever, fatigue, mild nausea, irritability. You should drink as much water as possible. The symptoms usually disappear within a week and the body gradually adapts to gaining energy from fat stores.
To adjust the diet, special measuring tapes are used, which show the level of ketones and glucose in the blood.
List of allowed and forbidden foods in the keto diet
Consumption in this way should be approached prudently. There is a specific list of allowed and forbidden foods in the keto diet.
First, let's take a look at what you can eat with the keto diet:
- You can eat all types of meat: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, bacon.
- Consumption of seafood and all fatty fish is allowed: salmon, salmon, mackerel.
- Wide range of dairy products: fatty cheeses and yogurt, cream, cheese, butter.
- You can add spices while cooking. Vegetable salads can be seasoned with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Nuts, berries and seeds are allowed for a snack.
- From permitted fruits: avocado, lemon, lime, but if you want something different, it is quite acceptable.
- Chicken eggs.
- The diet should include water, tea without sugar, coffee, mineral water. You should drink at least 2 liters of fluid a day.
- You can drink dry wine and strong alcohol: a glass of dry wine does not contain more than 4-5 grams of carbohydrates and is completely absent in vodka.
- Of the vegetables, low-carb vegetables are preferred, according to the principle: what grows in the ground can not be (carrots, beets, potatoes), but what can be above ground (cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, green onions, lettuce). All fatty foods go well with greens.
You should not diet keto:
- all kinds of legumes and cereals - peas, beans, beans, corn
- Low fat dairy products - low fat cottage cheese, milk, cream, yogurt, fermented milk, yogurt, kefir, varenets;
- sugar, sugary drinks, reconstituted juices, soda, caramel
- it is unacceptable to use snacks, chips and crackers.
- all starchy vegetables: potatoes, pumpkin;
- should give up rice, cereals and pasta.
- food made with white flour: pastries, muffins, croissants, rolls, pasta.
It is necessary to completely exclude the consumption of sugar, certain fruits and nuts.
Contraindications to the keto diet
People with diseases of the nervous system, with diseases that accompany the destruction of nerve cells, patients with diabetes should be approached with care in matters of nutrition.
There are contraindications to the keto diet for humans:
- suffers from epilepsy.
- diseases associated with musculoskeletal disorders.
- the presence of chronic diseases of the liver, kidneys.
- gastrointestinal tract?
- with high cholesterol levels.
Keto diet: Menu for the week
Nutritionists advise using the principle of diversity. A classic example of a keto diet for a week.
- breakfast - greasy cottage cheese without sugar and flour.
- lunch - any meat with vegetable accompaniment.
- for dinner - mushrooms or chicken with herbs.
- breakfast - avocado salad with sour cream?
- for lunch - meatballs with vegetables.
- at night - grilled fish with asparagus.
- breakfast - salad with vegetable curd.
- for lunch - turkey with broccoli?
- For dinner, you can make an American fish salad with celery stalks.
- in the morning - omelette and bacon and fatty yogurt.
- for lunch - chicken boiled in sour cream sauce with a plate of vegetables.
- Dinner will consist of river fish.
- for breakfast - sugar-free cottage cheese
- for lunch - green buckwheat with meat.
- in the evening - cooked meat with vegetables.
- breakfast - avocado salad dressed with yogurt.
- for lunch - chicken cutlets with a plate of vegetables.
- for dinner - stew and herbs.
- breakfast - boiled eggs and fatty cheeses
- for lunch - boiled beef with mushrooms
- in the evening - chicken breast with fresh vegetables.
For an afternoon snack, you can eat nuts, avocados, berries, cheese, drink mineral water.
Recipes from the keto diet menu
The most common and simple dish on the keto menu is omelette and bacon or cheese for breakfast. For lunch, you can eat a portion of any meat with herbs, green beans. Fish can be eaten in any form with vegetables for dinner. For a snack, you can eat a handful of nuts. The portions can be both large and small, as long as the body is saturated.
Here are some simple, complete meals that do not require additional snacks.
Fish salad:fatty fish cooked or boiled, cut into pieces, add: eggs, pickles, onions, mayonnaise or 20% sour cream, you can add some lettuce stalks
Chicken with bacon, boiled in sour cream with mushrooms:bacon strips are fried in olive oil or sunflower oil, removed from the pan while cooking and place the pieces in the oven. , fried for a few minutes until golden brown, add: water, chopped onions, mushrooms, fried bacon, sour cream, spices and all cook for a few more minutes.
Salad with curd:fresh cucumber, onion and chopped Chinese cabbage, add salt and spices, let it sit for 10 minutes, so that the vegetablesgive juice and add greasy curd, pour cream on top mixed with mayonnaise.
There are many recipes for the keto diet, everyone can choose the best option for themselves from the allowed products.
This diet can be delicious and varied.
End the keto diet
After completing the course, in order not to undermine health and usefully leave the keto diet, it is necessary to gradually reduce the amount of fat consumed. To maintain your metabolism and avoid stress, you should gradually increase your intake of carbohydrates and proteins in small doses.
Along with fats, calorie intake decreases. Vegetables, cereals are gradually introduced into the diet, avoiding sugar and flour products. The daily intake of carbohydrates in the first days of leaving the diet should be from 70 to 100 grams, it is desirable to leave the protein intake at the same level.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Nutritionists' views on the keto diet
Nutritionists believe that the ketogenic diet is universal not only for weight loss and weight loss, but also recommend it to improve health. With proper and strict adherence to diet recipes, the diet should contain: 80% fat, 10% protein and 10% carbohydrates.Dietitians have written more than 30 scientific articles and years of research have shown that the ketogenic diet significantly accelerates the reduction of insulin in the blood, a hormone that promotes the accumulation of subcutaneous fat. Diet improves appetite control, diet suppresses the production of growth hormone, which causes hunger. Muscle mass remains the same, the amount of subcutaneous fat decreases.
Scientific studies have shown that for the treatment of certain cardiovascular diseases, the ketogenic diet is a non-drug treatment.
Eating a good diet is not only the key to weight loss, but also has a beneficial effect on the function of the gastrointestinal tract, heart, liver and kidneys.
A balanced diet rich in fats and moderate in protein and carbohydrates for a long time, supports a healthy lifestyle, prolongs youth, helps maintain good physical shape. Doctors recommend walking more in the fresh air, a full sleep, and there are only natural products.